Carl Byrns

Default HSM magazine hit a double

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 20:10:22 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
The standard technical terms used by boat builders for viscosity
measurements of fumed silica thickened resins a

Catsup
Mayonnaise
Peanut butter

Probably named by a condiment merchant.

Ed Huntress

Glenn's not kidding- those are the actual terms Gougen Brothers (WEST
System) use for defining thickened epoxy. 'Peanut butter' will stick
to the ceiling.
Unthickened epoxy is pretty thin and is called 'neat'.

Epoxy thickened with fumed silica is called 'dookie', epoxy thickened
with wood flour is called 'schmutz' (or is it the other way around?)
and epoxy thickened with both is called 'dookie schmutz'. Dookie
schmutz is incredibly handy stuff- think 'ultra strong plastic wood'
(dookie schmutz is Coast Guard approved for fillet-bonding wood
boats).

One corner of the sliding-glass door frame on my house had some pretty
nasty rot happening. A conventional repair would have involved
dismantling the door casing. Instead, I Sawzalled the rotten parts
out, epoxied in new wood and schmutzed and sanded the seams. Took
about an hour and has held up for five years so far.

Everyone should keep a couple of quarts of marine epoxy on hand. Great
stuff.

-Carl