clare @ snyder.on .ca

Default Another sparkies question about generators

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 06:52:42 -0700, Eric R Snow
wrote:

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 00:39:31 GMT, clare @ snyder.on .ca wrote:

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 14:47:48 -0700, Eric R Snow
wrote:

I thought about using a big stepper I have but it saturates at the rpm
that it would be running at. At least I think that's what happens. If
all the wires are twisted together and the shaft spun the resistance
increases and then at a certain rpm drops dramatically. I suppose if
there were less poles in the rotor this wouldn't happen.
ERS

You are getting AC out of the servo - and poly phase at that. You need
some diodes to make them work properly. Tying wires together makes the
phases work against each other.

If I tie the wires in pairs, so there are 4 pairs in an 8 wire motor
the effect is the same. I know AC is coming out. That makes no
difference when measuring the output when used as agenerator. The load
was resistive and the meter set to AC.
ERS

Just wanted to be sure you understood the wiring of a polyphase
device. If you get out of phase windings in parallel, you get low
output and lots of heat.