Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin Whybrow

Default Cleaning rust from transformer laminations?

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Robert Swinney wrote:
Chris,

Why not just leave them alone? Conductivity between laminations is not

much
of an issue in transformer and motor design. IMO, you'd do well to put

them
back together again and make sure you have adequate protection where the

new
wires will be in contact with the bare laminations.

Bob Swinney

Bob,

I might well do this. I just thought it would be nice to clean off the
rust as the dust makes quite a mess. But if I clean them, I want to do
it properly and then give them a fresh coat of insulating varnish. The
windings sit on a rubber/plastic former so that they aren't actually in
contact with the core.

Best wishes,

Chris

Chris,
don't clean them! The purpose of laminations is to prevent (or at least
reduce) eddy currents flowing through the thickness of the core, the
laminations are effectively insulated from each other (I think they oxidise
the surfaces of the laminations); cleaning them may well increase the
magnetic losses in the core by allowing high currents to flow between the
laminations.
Martin

--
martindot herewhybrowat herentlworlddot herecom

--
martindot herewhybrowat herentlworlddot herecom