Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

Default Converting Compressor motor from 220 v to 110 v

"Oren" wrote in message
I have a 5 HP, 1989 Craftsman Air Compressor (Model NO. 919.176851).
It's a 240 Voltage Single Phase motor made by General Electric. My
question is: can I convert this to a 110v use by changing the
plug-cord assembly only? Will this motor run on 110v without damage
to it? Or am I stuck with having to stay with the 220v configuration.

Thanks,

Oren
excused from saving Universes."

Unless the motor is dual voltage your stuck with 240 v. There are motors
that can have the interior wiring configuration changed or the taps where
the wires land are set up for dual voltage. Read the name plate and then
google the motor.

I am amazed that you thought that changing the plug would even work.
Sorta like changing the tires on a pinto and getting a T-bird.