Posted to alt.home.repair
TKM

Default Converting Compressor motor from 220 v to 110 v

"Oren" wrote in message
I have a 5 HP, 1989 Craftsman Air Compressor (Model NO. 919.176851).
It's a 240 Voltage Single Phase motor made by General Electric. My
question is: can I convert this to a 110v use by changing the
plug-cord assembly only? Will this motor run on 110v without damage
to it? Or am I stuck with having to stay with the 220v configuration.

Thanks,

Oren
excused from saving Universes."

The nameplate on the motor is the place to look. Some motors are dual
voltage and the nameplate will have a wiring diagram or other information
about how to change the voltage. Simply plugging a motor set for 240 volts
into a 120 volt outlet will not work. It won't be able to put out the power
needed to operate the compressor -- if it starts at all.

TKM