Posted to sci.electronics.repair
3T39

Default Removing surface mount diode

Hello, Hamad!
You wrote on Thu, 12 Jan 2006 02:04:47 -0700:

HbT Is there a trick to it?

For some reason the text I wrote wasn't visibleon my last post, Very strange
OE behaviour, anyway I'll try again here

If your taking the parts from a scrap board, you might like to try using a
blowlamp applied to the back for a few seconds and then quickly hit the edge
of the board against the side of a container like a buiscuit tin or
something (held firmly so it doesn't fly up). you will soon get the hang of
it, and a lot of components can be recovered at once this way, even the
multi pinned monsters that you will never probably use. The only trouble I
find, is you get solder on the recovered devices which you then have to
clean off. empty the tin every time so you don't build up a lot of solder on
the items. of course you should invest in the right equipment if you want to
do it properly, but if like me it's just to experiment and learn, then this
brute force method works OK. I use a hot air gun when I do this, but a
blowlamp works just fine. A few words of caution, 1/ don't get the board too
hot, the fumes stink and may even be dangerous. 2/ do it outside, because
the fumes stink and might even be dangerous, 3/ wear gloves and be carful,
because the fumes stink and might even be dangerous.

With best regards, 3T39. E-mail: