Posted to sci.electronics.repair
3T39

Default Removing surface mount diode

Hello, Hamad!
You wrote on Thu, 12 Jan 2006 02:04:47 -0700:

HbT I have a board that I need to add a diode to. The problem is that
HbT the diode is coming off another board that I've cannibalized for
HbT parts, and I don't know how to get the diode off that board. I
HbT know very little about this stuff. I've removed components before
HbT using an ordinary soldering iron and a solder pump. However,
HbT this diode is tiny and surface mounted, which seems to make things
HbT a bit harder. I tried applying a soldering iron to the leads while
HbT poking at the diode with a metal probe. Eventually, I cracked the
HbT diode this way. Fortunately, the board has a few more identical
HbT diodes, so I have another few shots at this.

HbT Is there a trick to it?

With best regards, 3T39. E-mail: