Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Default Centering router on table base

Thu, Jan 12, 2006, 7:05am George@least (George) doth amaze me:
It's not locating the holes properly for attachment, rather locating
them properly for collet center that counts. Means you begin with
collet/bit center as your prime reference. Unfortunately, that tends to
fall in the middle of a large hole in your new base. You'd have to make
an insert and center properly on the center point to begin.

This thread is absolutely fasciating. Hard for me to decide that
either I'm a total genius (possible - LOL), or I made my router table
100% wrong - and I don't think so.

My router lives in the router table, so I didn't worry about taking
it in and out. Would have been easy enough to do tho.

What I did was drill a hole in the middle of the table, for the bit
to go thru. Then used the router base to lay out the screw holes.
Drilled, and counter sunk the holes. I used 3/4" plywood for the table
top, so did have to take a bit out on the underside, but that was no
prob - too thick otherwise, should have cut a lalge hold in the 3/4",
then topped with 1/4", and put the screw holes in that. But, didn't
have any 1/4" on hand, so just went with what I had. Anyway, just
screwed the router in. No prob.

I didn't measure any of this, just eyeballed it. Would have been
simple enough to square out tho. Find the exact center of the table
(just go from corner to corner), mark it. Then reference the screw
holes, et all, from the center. No prob.

If I'd wanted the router so I could slip it in and out of the
table, I'd probably have gone with 1/4" ply over 3/4". Square base on
the router, sqpare hole in the 1/4". Smaller, round hole, to take the
router, in the 3/4".

The router bit hole is maybe 1 1/2" to 2". The hole size is no
prob. I opened up the previous router that was there, and there was
absolutely NO sawdust in it. The router running blows it away, so
sawdust dosn't drop in.

I've used this version, for years, with no problems at all. I'm
gonna need a slightly different router table soon tho, but pretty sure
I'll keep this one, and just make another.

What's really fascinating to me is, I didn't ask anyone anything
about how to do it. Just looked at the router, and decided how to do
it, did it. Probably took me a couple of hours, not including glue
drying time. All I bought was the screws, and some nuts, washers,
bolts. Couldn't hve bought anything that would have worked for me. I
did look at a couple of store-bought router tables first, but,
basically, that was it.

JOAT
You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear".
What do you "know"?
- Granny Weatherwax