Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

Default defrosting windscreen

"Homer2911" wrote in message
oups.com...

Grumps wrote:

I've always been told that you shouldn't use water as it could crack the
glass. Is this true or one of those old wives' tales?

From the replies posted so far, no-one seems to have heard of a

windscreen breaking from the application of water. Might the old
wive's tale have originated in much earlier times, when glass
technology was not what it is today, and screens were more easily
shattered? I've used the water method for thirty-odd years with no
problems.

Tempered glass windscreens were created by heat treating the glass, so I
would say that they were even less likely to shatter than modern laminated
screens. I suspect it is that people knew that you should not plunge thick
glass into boiling hot washing up water and assumed that the same would
apply to any glass with any volume of heated water, whatever the
temperature. I used water from the hot tap for many years, before getting a
garage, and, like you, never had a problem.

Colin Bignell