Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray L. Volts

Default Receiver Control Panel

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

snippage..

That's all very nice, except that most modern audio equipment makes the
connections between the front panel and main panel, using one or more
flexiprints, which are in no way ' easily ' extendable.

It's not all that difficult, if you don't mind doing loads of tight solder
work. Desolder the original socket, wire up an appropriate length of cable
from receiver board to socket, plug relocated control board into socket and
away you go. Granted, surface-mount sockets are a lot trickier to deal
with, but still can be done by a skilled solderer (solderist?).

To the OP:
Your chances of getting acceptable results soldering directly to flex traces
are virtually nil, as the iron will destroy the traces and vinyl backing.
They must, therefore, be plugged into matching sockets. I've heard tales of
limited success with low-liquidus-point silver solder made for surface-mount
work, but I haven't bothered trying that approach, so I can't say from
personal experience whether it's viable.

Volume controls are for the most part, no longer pots, instead being
rotary encoders, controlling ' electronic pot ' ICs, via the system
control micro. Likewise for tone control, tuning, source switching etc.

They're totally cool, too. A major annoyance of older analog pots is
dirty/scratchy wiper contacts. I hate having to open up the things to clean
'em. The car stereo gang pots are the worst.