Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Steve

Default Another newbie chuck question...

I have an old Craftsman lathe that one of my neighbors left out on the curb.
He (or she) also left the tools that came with it. After sharpening the
tools, I found the lathe works just fine, and I'm having fun with it.

I got a 4 jaw chuck very cheap on ebay, along with some new ( much needed
M2) centers. The chuck is an older one, and the jaws move independently!?

So the question... is there an easy way to center work piece in the jaws?

I thought perhaps I could turn one round piece with a small centered round
section to fit in the center screw hole (to find the first center), and then
additional rings to fit on that... to help me get the jaws at least close to
center somewhere near the diameter of the part I want to hold (does anyone
get what I'm trying to say?).

Thanks for any advice!

Steve