Posted to rec.woodworking
Ranger Paul

Default Irwin Quick Grip clamps slipping

Ok,

I got my money back from Home Depot for the Irwin Quick Grips, 6 of them
anyway. I went to Amazon and ordered 6 Jorgensen ISD bar clamps.

Night and day, the Jorgensen's I can squeeze the handle till I'm blue in the
face and they don't slip. You take the sides off the Jorgensens and you see
2 springs vs the one spring in the Irwin Quick Grips, gauge of the springs?
The springs in the Jorgensen's are polished and must be at least 4 gauges
thicker. Clamp leaves inside; the Irwin Quick Grips have 2, Jorgensen ISDs
have 4.

The jaw stays put when you move it too, even when not tightened. This is
nice for coarse adjustments where you can get it close to the opening you
need but just a pinch larger, then use both hands to assemble or line
something up, then grab the ISD clamp with one hand and the open jaw doesn't
slide all over the place like it would on the Irwin's.

First impression, Jorgensen ISDs are at least 10 times better.

Recommendation; if you have Irwin Quick Grips, take them back for a
refund/store credit, re-gift them to a brother-in-law you don't like,
whatever it takes to get rid of them and then go online (Amazon has em) or
someplace you know of that carries the Jorgensen ISD clamps and buy them.
You will be glad you did.

RangerPaul

"Paul Stewart" wrote in message
Anyone know how or if Irwin Quick Grip clamps can be adjusted or restored
fix them from slipping when pulling the handle/trigger to tighten the
clamp?

I've got quite a few and they are becoming very frustrating. I know they
have a life time warranty and I have already taken 3 or 4 back for
exchange,
but this is getting old fast, I'm about to pitch em in the trash.

I read an advertisement about Jorgensens similar clamp saying they have
40%
more gripping power and that they don't slip. Anyone have any experience
with the Jorgensen quick clamps?

Thanks,

Paul