Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

Default hide glue help

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:40:06 +0000, Andy Dingley
wrote:

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 13:42:35 -0600, Frank Boettcher
wrote:

when I dip a stir stick into the hot glue and lift it out it comes off
in drips, kind of the viscosity of a light oil. If i rub some between
my fingers it feels like cooking oil or light machine oil. It is
definitely not thick like a heavy syrup. Is this right?

It's right for something - maybe not what you're doing. I'd aim for
"golden syrup" consistency for general use.

Get less water in there. Just soak it for less time. Otherwise turn up
the heat on your hotplate and let it reduce for a while, making sure you
stir the skin in every few minutes. I love my chem lab hotplate for
this - easy adjustment between "Start up", "Store it" and "Make it
thicker".

Thanks, I think I used one of your posts to get started with this.

I'm doing repairs to a an upright or double bass. I used the thin
batch to repair an open seam between the back and the side skirt and
the fact that it was thin was good because I could force it in the
open crack and get it fully wetted out. However, I have a structural
repair (neck to body) to do tommorrow and I think I would like a
thicker glue for that. I'll try to get more water out or heat it for
longer to thicken it up.

My little hot plate rig ($8 at big lots) is adjustable and I scratched
marks to indicate 140, 160, 175 degrees F with my makeshift double
boiler.

Frank