Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

Default 13 amp plugs - memories

In article ,
Andy Wade wrote:
Wall Plugs. A "wall plug," or "socket" as it is sometimes erroneously
called, consists of two parts - the socket or fixed part, the
terminals of which are permanently connected to the circuit wires,
and the moveable part, called the plug top which, by means of a
flexible cord, is connected to a table lamp, etc., ... (Private House
Electric Lighting, F H Taylor, 1917)

Nice :-)

It's crap, though. A plug is a male member and fits into a socket.
'Decency' has stopped perhaps more erudite terms being used. ;-)

If someone invented a plug which could mate with another plug (electrical
wise) they'd make a fortune.

Problems in nomenclature arise with many multi-pin designs where the
bodies have opposite sexes to the actual connectors - audio XLRs are a
prime example. But the connectors are the business end, so that's how you
decide which is which. Unless there is a mixture. ;-)

--
*I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.