Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Default Under Slab Plumbing

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 20:40:57 GMT, "Thomas Rivet"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
:
: D & P wrote:
: Hi There,
:
: I'm in the process of building a new home and have a question
regarding the
: plumbing under the slab.
:
: After the builder poured the foundation and started framing I
noticed 1/2 of
: the plumbing didn't line up. I ask the general contractor
about this. He
: said it is a normal accordance and it happens about 90% of
the time. Is this
: really the case? He said they will re-route all the plumbing
and it will be
: fine. I just don't like the idea of someone coming back in
with a jackhammer
: all over the foundation. Can this hurt the integrity of the
foundation and
: plumbing?
:
: Thanks,
: John
:
: If it were me I would have had the main contractor halt
construction
: while we discussed who was paying for the slab to be removed
and done
: correctly.
:
: For the plumbing to be off the amount stated is just really
bad work.
:
: Any rework of the concrete is going to cause potential problems
as the
: house settles.
:

I don't know about stopping construction: I'd let the contractor
make that decision to avoid conttractual problems, depending on
how it's written.

That's a danged good point on who pays for it though! Certainly
not the homeowner, I'd say. Might be worth keeping a record of
how many men doing what on which days while that's going on, and
getting a detailed labor record when the job's done: Most
projects are on computers so it's not hard to get such a record,
and if it's not, well, it should still be available from their
pay records; and it better match up to your figures, too.

Try hard not to pay for HIS mistakes. Also, don't forget about
subcontractors if he's using them - it might not be "his" fault,
but it's certainly "his" responsibility.

HTH,

Pop

Pop