Posted to alt.home.repair
Thomas Rivet

Default Under Slab Plumbing

wrote in message
oups.com...
: Your floor slab is not your foundation. That's under the
bearing
: walls. If the plumbing is run under the footings, I'd be really
: concerned, unless you're on exposed ridge.
:
: Can't say about the plumbing. Depends on what they do to get at
it, and
: what it's made of. You might make mention of the fact that
you'd like a
: second set of eyeballs to go over it before closing it up.
:
: Got a camera ready?
:
: HTH,
: J
:

to the OP:

Any chance there is a large distance between the open ends of the
pipes and that something else is going to go into that area? As
in gates, sorters, joiners, temp controllers, pressure
controllers, things like that? That's such a large offset that
it almost sounds intentional.
But, if he says it's "normal", like you said, IMO something's
rotten and it's not in the dirt underneat the concrete.

That camera idea's a very good one. Get pics from a couple of
different angles of each misalignment, and carefully note the
location in writing right on the pic.
Let the builder know you did it.
I'm no expert but I think I'd also insist on having the
contract modified to specifically incluse any damage that might
arise over time due to this issue so that it cannot be attibuted
to "an act of God" or some such thing down the road.
If he's a good businessman, he'll likely give you as much of
what you're asking for as he feels reasonable. That will tell
you a lot.

Actually, I think the best thing you might do would be to get
those pics and then see if you can't get an inspector or city
engineer, whatever, to come out and look it over. They may or
may not have some interesting comments, but either way it's going
to help settle things a lot. If you can afford it and they
city/town whatever doesn't have one, you might even consider
hiring a structural engineer to take a look at it.
Don't stop the contractor from working or you'll get into
contractual problems. But don't make any secret that you're
questioning the misalingnments either; he should have nothing to
hide. In fact, maybe it was one of his subcontractors at fault,
if there is a fault, and he might be more helpful than you think.
Or not.

I assume you measured horizontal misalignments. Are there also
vertical misalignments? You might need a level to figure that
out.