Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Default Tub surrounds--what's your preference?

If money is no object:

http://www.corian.com/corian/a/en/h/...rsandTubs.html

wrote in message
oups.com...
We need to redo our tub surround. I followed the mold on the caulk up
under the tiles which turned out to be all soggy mastic and crumbling
plaster underneath. Fortunately, there's concrete board under the
plaster so at least we won't have to redo that. Don't ask me why they
decided to plaster over the concrete board and under the tiles.

Our replacement choices are basically either more tile in a proper
thinset cement this time or a Fiberglas® tub surround. We've had bad
past experiences with tile in thinset--the cement crumbled and it was a
bear to remove the whole mess. We've also not had terrific experiences
with fiberglas--I think it looks cheap to start with and looks
permanently grubby within a couple of years and it leaked eventually,
too.

So what would your first choice for a shower surround be? What's the
most waterproof choice out there?

--
Caren