Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Cathy Kearns

Default Remodel or sell--how to decide? (long)

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , Ric Shaw says...

Depends a lot on your temperment. I would NEVER consider undergoing

major
renovations on a home. Wouldn't want to put up with the mess and the
timespan to complete the renovations, which always seems to extend long
beyond the estimate given by the contractor before he/she started the

job.
Dealing with renovation contractors is a potential minefield of problems

and
costly extras that weren't included in the estimate. In renovation work,
the contractor can run into time-consuming and expensive problems that
weren't evident before starting the work and will expect to be paid for

the
additional time and materials required to solve the problems. Life

during a
renovation project can be a nightmare. I would never consider exposing
myself to the uncertainties or major renovations. I would sell a home I
wasn't happy with in a heartbeat and buy one that had the amenities I
valued.
FWIW Ric

Yes to all of the above. But one would have to buy new construction,

probably
custom, to get there without the reno, no? Or at least be happy with most
everything out there.

Banty points out what to me is the biggest pitfall of not renovating. You
need to be happy with the house someone else designed and built. Despite
the mess and headaches that come with remodeling, I have definite wants and
needs in my home, and am willing to put up with messes and headaches to get
those. No matter what house I buy, I'm going to have to customize it. So I
buy for location, and a basic floorplan I can work around, and go from
there. We've remodeled our past house twice, and our present house twice in
the 12 years we've lived here. Right now there is nothing else I'd need, so
it's fine. (And I keep saying this is our last house.) But I know, in the
future, there will be some function that I can't forsee that I'll want to
add, and the construction guys will be back.

That said, I wouldn't over customize a home (or make it the fanciest in the
neighborhood) unless I have plans to live there at least 20 years. The OP's
description of the neighborhood would give me pause. That, and I can't
imagine any major remodel costing less than the price of her home. But then
again, I live in the SF bay area.