Posted to alt.home.repair
tbl

Default Bathtub refinish

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 01:45:53 GMT, "James B"
wrote:

My mom has an older house with a cast iron bathtub that is showing it's age.
I know there are commercial refinishers that can do the job but are any of
the home user products any good? Even if we got 5 years out of it that would
be better than what she has now and a bathroom refit is not going to happen
anytime soon.

I used the two-part epoxy stuff on a plain, white,
porcelain-covered, steel tub.

I was amazed at how well the material leveled out, and how
it was even whiter than the original finish (didn't do the
whole tub).

But my prep wasn't good enough, and some has peeled off, and
once I actually cut my foot on a peeling edge. And the
chips and peels coming off can clog a drain pipe fast and
permanently.

The biggest dissapointment was the color. At one year, it
looked about the same as the original. At two years, a
little yellower than the original. At five years, quite
noticeably yellower, and I'm going to replace the tub.
--
tbl