Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill

Default Hide glue question

I have a 30 to 40 year old Dinning room chair that has repeatedly had some
of the cross spindles come out of the legs, I've reglued with standard
yellow glue but they just keep loosening up. My question is could the
original builder have used hide glue to assemble and is it possible that the
hide glue is interfering with the bond of the new glue?? I'm at the point I
might glue them back in and pin the joint with a wooden dowel to keep it in
place but would rather not. Not all of the spindles are loose so i can't
completely disasemble the chair for a real reglue so any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks

Bill