Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Sehr

Default help with some tapered cavities

Used end mills are cheap. You might buy one and have a
tool & cutter grinder grind the taper on it. There is one on Ebay 7578883449
with a buy it now price of $1.25 and
$8. shipping. And seller says he has more sizes.
I don't think it would cost too much to grind.
Jim

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message
I'm working on a mould that has a platen with nine cavities. They're
simple holes 2" deep and 1-3/4" i.d., but need to have 5-thou per inch
taper, top to bottom (increasing).

I can buy a taper reamer -- OOF! $300 bucks; but this is a one-off job.

The platen plate is too large to put on my rotary table, and mill the
cavities to a taper. I could reach some of them, but others would
interfere with parts of the mill.

I don't know anyone locally who has a lathe big enough to swing the
platen.

I can, but would hate to, make tapered sleeves and press them into the
platen on what amounts to a disposable device. It'll probably only be in
service two or three months before its replacement machine is finished.

Any suggestions are darned welcome!

LLoyd