Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rumble

Default 3 core SWA for single phase supply?

SR said the following on 11/01/2006 21:48:
My latest cock-up: Having dug 15M trench, put SWA cable in and
re-filled, I've now discovered it's a 3 core rather than 2 core cable.
Doh! (It did seem a little thick, but I hadn't used any SWA for a
while...) I could just go ahead and use it anyway I suppose, but since
the core colours are brown, black and grey as for 3-phase system, I
can't use the correct single phase colour scheme - there's no blue.

Is there a way round this without digging the whole bloody thing up again?

SR

No problem

Brown - Live
Black - Neutral - with blue insulating tape over the black
Grey/Sheath - Earth - with green/yellow insulating tape over the grey

Tape should be used at both ends.

Alternatively, you can put a white label on the brown saying "L" and a
white label on the black saying "N", etc.