Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Recessed Lighting Questions

wrote:
Hello,

I have recessed lighting in my kitchen (I imagine the cans are the
cheapest quality as they came with the builder) and am working on
finishing out my basement with recessed lights.

I'm looking at energy efficiency/brightness tradeoffs. I'm really
interested in the LED bulbs, but it seems as though the heat transfer
requires the fixtures to be 'open air' fixtures - does that eliminate
recessed lighting as an option if I want to go with LED bulbs?

Also, in terms of replacing the incandescent bulbs in the kitchen -
can I just drop in a CF or a halogen bulb, or do they have to be
rated for recessed lighting?

You can, as you say, just drop in a CF or halogen. However you may want
to make sure the CG fits will in the fixture, some may not or may loose some
of their useful light output.

Halogens are incandescent lamps. They tend to last longer and produce a
little whiter light than the typical non-halogen incandescent lamp, but they
are about the same when it comes to efficiency.

I would suggest looking for Cf's first. Get good ones, especially for a
kitchen because they are likely to have more natural color output. They are
also more likely to be a little more efficient.

Personally I don't think that LED's are ready for prime time when it
comes to general room lighting yet. Give them a few more years and let's
see what happens.

Thanks in advance, and I apologize for my ignorance~

Lisa

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit