Posted to alt.home.repair
Jean

Default Painting doors & Floetrol

George E. Cawthon wrote:
m Ransley wrote:

Some oils yellowed but a warning unless you clean the trim and sand it
real well, it is likely never to bond right, many times ive seen latex
over a hard oil trim that came off with your fingernail. If it is a
quality old smooth finish then only oil can get that again, Penetrol in
oil or Floetrol in latex help, both made by Flood. The smoothest
finishing paint is Benjamin Moore satin Impervo, expensive but the new
formulations dont yellow as much . Latex may be easier now but dries to
quick to level and get real smooth, and bonding issues can make
stripping it off in a few years necessary, unless you spend alot to
prep.

Prep doesn't take a lot of time, depending on whether the door is flat
or a panel door. One just needs to do it right. Wash with Trisodium
phosphate (or maybe a substitute), wet sand with 220-400 grit wet or dry
paper and rinse off.
Don't need to sand a lot, just keep washing the paper so that paint
doesn't accumulate on the paper. Maybe a lot of time if one is
impatient and thinks that 15 minutes per door is a lot of time.

In my project to repaint all the house's woodwork, I've just completed
refinishing the baseboards (lotsa little ledges and curves). And like
you say, I spent more time doing prep work than in the actual painting.
If I had only known about all this before I started the project ....sigh

Jean