Posted to alt.home.repair
D & P

Default Under Slab Plumbing

"L. M. Rappaport" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 12:49:51 GMT, "D & P" wrote (with
possible editing):

Hi There,

I'm in the process of building a new home and have a question regarding

the
plumbing under the slab.

After the builder poured the foundation and started framing I noticed 1/2

of
the plumbing didn't line up. I ask the general contractor about this. He
said it is a normal accordance and it happens about 90% of the time. Is

this
really the case? He said they will re-route all the plumbing and it will

be
fine. I just don't like the idea of someone coming back in with a

jackhammer
all over the foundation. Can this hurt the integrity of the foundation

and
plumbing?

Thanks,
John

I guess it all depends upon how far off it really is. If you mean
inch, I guess it does, but anything more is just sloppy work.
Depending upon how much is jackhammered or cut (usually better) it
shouldn't hurt the foundation, but it can hurt the plumbing.

FWIW, my home has about a 4000 sq ft footprint, slab on ground over
insulation, with radiant heat in part and none of it was misaligned.
I've been involved with several homes using slabs and never had a
misalignment, but in one a pipe was forgotten, but added overhead
later.
--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com

Thanks for the reply Larry,

To be more specific:
My slab has a 3132 sq.ft footprint

The washing machine stub is in the master closet, off about 2 feet
The master sink stub is in the hallway, off around 3 feet
The refrigerator stub is in the pantry, off about 3 feet
The kitchen sink stub,off about 2 feet
Guest bathroom toilet drain, off about 1 foot

This is a new home builder that is doing this. I have been to a couple of
other homes under contruction and have seen other plumbing re-routes. Like 1
or 2 at the most. My house has a lot more