Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Jim Elbrecht

Default unvented wall mounted gas space heater

"Al Bundy" wrote:

Those unvented heaters stink, literally. It will often smell like you
are using a kerosene heater. That smell is unburned gasses. They may be
legal and meet some standard somewhere, but they are bad news for your
health. Your family will suffer headeaches and breathing problems at
the least. It just ain't worth the headache!

In general if you can smell a gas appliance it is in need of
adjustments and you are asking for trouble.

If my tank is nearly empty I can sometimes get the very slightest of
of odors from the additive they put in LP gas. But no-one has ever
mentioned an odor from my unvented stove in the 5-6 years I've been
running it.

I'd love to read a recent [last 5-10 years] scientific study that
supports your 'unvented gas heaters are bad for your health'
statement.

Here's one from 10 years ago that I think seems to be calling the mold
from the excess water vapor the major pollutant. [not so likely
in my house-- even with the LP heater throwing off supplemental heat
& vapor, I still never get above 38% humidity in the winter]

It also has ridiculous statements like "Continuous use of a 40,000 Btu
per hour heater, as would be necessary in a cold climate, causes
indoor pollutant levels to exceed these government-specified air
quality and health standards."

Under certain circumstances there is no doubt that you can create a
hazard with a ventless heater. But I doubt that a reasonable person,
who installs one properly sized for a room will ever be exposed to
excess pollutants. [including CO]

Jim