Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Bathtub refinish

James B wrote:
My mom has an older house with a cast iron bathtub that is showing
it's age. I know there are commercial refinishers that can do the job
but are any of the home user products any good? Even if we got 5
years out of it that would be better than what she has now and a
bathroom refit is not going to happen anytime soon.

thanks

Using the proper products (usually 2 part epoxy) and doing a perfect
prep job, five years is a good estimate. However any error on the prep work
and it will be a far shorter life. The prep work is involved and will take
a fair among of hard work.

The real drawback of a DIY job as I see it is the likelihood that your
job will make any future repair attempts more difficult and or compromise
the life of any future job.

Price out the cost of a commercial job and then make your decision.
They have the experience and tools to do a better job than you can.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit