Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default THICK ALUMINUM WELDING

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 05:20:29 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler
wrote:

In article ,
Gunner wrote:

Say Ernie..I picked up a tank from Reliable Tools sometime back..they
tend to sell me their tanks cheap cause they dont want to mess with
them..

2.5% CO2
7.5% Argon
90% helium

There was a piece of masking tape that said "stainless steel"

Is that too much CO2 to use it for tigging? Will it burn up my
electrodes too fast or can I use it for Aluminum or general welding?

If I had to guess..I figure it was for MIG..but its got 2000lbs of gas
in it and Id hate to have to vent it cause I cant use it.

Thanks

Gunner

That is a helium tri-mix and it is excellent for MIG on Stainless steel.
It will also work great on regular MIG, with no spatter at all.

High penetration and smooth welds.

On TIG it will destroy your tungsten.

Ok! many thanks! Ive been using it to blow up balloons for the grand
daughter..makes em float pretty good..including a condom...(her mom
nearly ****)

Ill hang on to this in case I run out of Mix gas, then use it up and
then refll with Ar.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
.. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,