Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ernie Leimkuhler

Default THICK ALUMINUM WELDING

In article ,
Gunner wrote:

Say Ernie..I picked up a tank from Reliable Tools sometime back..they
tend to sell me their tanks cheap cause they dont want to mess with
them..

2.5% CO2
7.5% Argon
90% helium

There was a piece of masking tape that said "stainless steel"

Is that too much CO2 to use it for tigging? Will it burn up my
electrodes too fast or can I use it for Aluminum or general welding?

If I had to guess..I figure it was for MIG..but its got 2000lbs of gas
in it and Id hate to have to vent it cause I cant use it.

Thanks

Gunner

That is a helium tri-mix and it is excellent for MIG on Stainless steel.
It will also work great on regular MIG, with no spatter at all.

High penetration and smooth welds.

On TIG it will destroy your tungsten.

--
"I love deadlines, especially the wooshing sound they make as
they fly by" - Douglas Adams