Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John P.

Default HF Bandfile

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 17:07:01 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

John P. wrote:

I've got the same thing, but I find that the belt slips off no matter
how much I try to adjust it. So basically it doesn't get used...

John P.

That gadget is on my "next order" list, but your comment puts me off a bit.

Ok, sorry. I should have said that I'm using the tool to try to grind
off welds in tight spots and other various difficult tasks using
moderate to heavy pressure. If you are just using it for light
pressure it might be OK. Or if you are sanding something with the
consistency of say, Talc - it might work. grin

I wonder if adding a bit more crown to the belt pulleys would help?

Well, it's a good thought, but the pulley on the end is not a drive
pulley, so you can't change the geometry of that one easily... and at
the other end there is just a little plastic "cork" which screws onto
the grinder shaft. Not something you could really grind an angle onto
to help the situation... at least not with precision.

Maybe the driven pulley could be altered as simply as holding a file
against it while it's running with no belt installed?

Again, I'd hardly call the little plastic cap a pulley. :-)

Basically what I've learned from this experiment is that this $10 HF
part is not a substitute for the $400 Dynabrade Dynafile. ;-)

John P.