Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Banty

Default Remodel or sell--how to decide? (long)

In article , Ric Shaw says...

Depends a lot on your temperment. I would NEVER consider undergoing major
renovations on a home. Wouldn't want to put up with the mess and the
timespan to complete the renovations, which always seems to extend long
beyond the estimate given by the contractor before he/she started the job.
Dealing with renovation contractors is a potential minefield of problems and
costly extras that weren't included in the estimate. In renovation work,
the contractor can run into time-consuming and expensive problems that
weren't evident before starting the work and will expect to be paid for the
additional time and materials required to solve the problems. Life during a
renovation project can be a nightmare. I would never consider exposing
myself to the uncertainties or major renovations. I would sell a home I
wasn't happy with in a heartbeat and buy one that had the amenities I
valued.
FWIW Ric

Yes to all of the above. But one would have to buy new construction, probably
custom, to get there without the reno, no? Or at least be happy with most
everything out there.

As an example of a somewhat different temprament, though, I don't expect at home
(at my work in microelectronics production it's quite different!) that
everything work perfectly the first time, happen right on schedule, etc. To me,
what's important is that the job be done right, and I be worked with as far as
keeping essentials in operation (like my only bathroom when it was reno'd!), and
I can communicate well with a good contractor and crew to work out the glitches.
Since the END product is exactly (given budget etc.) what I want, up to date,
new, and livable, for the coming decade or more, it's worth it. Heck, it's
something of an adventure. And I have a more-than-one-way-to-skin-a-cat
attitude, too. And by time the contract is even written, I've already pulled up
some flooring, broken into a wall, whatever, or at least saying "I'll be there
when you open that up, downstairs looks like there was a leak in the past".

I'm strongly process-oriented, though, always have been. It's the temprament
thing. If I know the good end product is upcoming, and I have confidence in the
contractor, the dust, noise, hassle, rigamarole and inconvenience, and even
schedule uncertainities are - interesting. If one is really goal oriented, yes,
it can be frustrating. That also means if one lives with goal-oriented people
(like a spouse), have small children or other endeavors that have to be
maintained in the meantime, it's hard even if one would be OK with the whole
process and all the disruptions by oneself.

It all depends. There's an acronym in my home newsgroup that applies - YMMV -
Your Mileage May Vary.

Banty