NickW

Default How deep to bury oil pipes?

The Natural Philosopher wrote in message ...
Mine go down about 8 inches. But don't get a lot of traffic. The secret
is to use sand or fine pea shingle in teh trench to spread the load
evenly to avoid crushing. Then top up with MOT type 1, and then your
surface layer.

8'' - that's good enough for me. Maybe I'll make it 10'' to be on the
safe side, it will only get the occaisonal car driving over it. I
haven't heard of MOT type 1 but I shall try to get some. I was going
to use sharp sand as well in case a big stone managed to penetrate the
MDPE pipe and pierce the copper.

My builder had the bright idea of running them in scaffold tubes. Kinked
the pipe and fractured it drawing it through. Had to dig it all up
again. However, if you have a brain slightly more advanced than the
average Gibbon, it could be a thought.

Oops. TBH, I think MDPE pipe would do the job just as well as scaffold
tubes, it's very tough stuff. I'm hoping the MDPE pipe will not allow
kinking because it is very stiff and likes to follow gentle curves so
it will guide the pipe smoothly.

My copper pipe arrives this weekend. I already have a Danesmore
Worcester 20/25 boiler sitting in my garage. I'm running the pipe from
the existing pool heating oil tank to the house. (The pool is now
heated by solar BTW). Work work work.

Nick