Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - "Out, damned spot! Out, I say!"

Ed Huntress wrote:

About your comment regarding the facts matching the polls, they almost
always match the results of the poll. You just have to be careful what
you're reading, and you have to make sure you aren't reading something into
it that isn't there. It's also a good idea not to trust one's memory. We
tend to be a lot more biased in individual memory than in survey statistics.
And watch out for reporters' interpretations of surveys. Most of them
wouldn't know a standard deviation from a confidence interval, and they have
no business expounding upon survey research results.

And remember: Statistics means never having to say you're certain. g

--
Ed Huntress

As I remember they missed on Dewey. I also thought that Kerry was
ahead in the polls at one point in the last election. They keep having
polls on Bush's ratings and the number keep changing.

Polls may be accurate reflections of what people think right now, but
they are not all that great at predicting elections months in advance.
That crazy economics professor at Yale did better than the polls.
Again the economy is doing well inspite of the hurricanes. It is going
to be a tough fight for control of Congress.

Dan