Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
J. Nielsen

Default OT: free software features survey

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:51:47 -0600, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

My questions to the group.

(1) If its free and easy to use, would you like to have such a
program?

Yes.

(2) Do you want the output to be a complete "stand alone"
program or simply a code fragment that you cut-n-paste into an
existing cnc program.

Doesn't really matter.

(3) Will a program that runs in a "DOS" box be acceptable, or do
you need/want one that runs in the windows environment?

Let's face the facts: Both DOS and Freddy Mercury are dead and it's
time to get over it. Windows are the way to go - just ask BD.
(besides, XP has an issue with DOS programs, IIRC)

(4) Does it make any difference what language the source code is
written in? I am leaning toward M/S qb4.5 as I have/use that
compiler. I will post both the source [.bas] and compiled [.exe]
files for download.

(5) How much group interest is there in a version that generates
metric output?

I *could* live with inch output and multiply the input with 25, but whynot
make it a user choice in the program?

(6) How much group interest is there in a version that uses a
rotary indexer to generate text/graphics around a cylinder?

No need here, as our mill has an option for rotary axis swapping.

(8) How would you use such a program?

Text engraving, frames, logos. The (DOS) program I'm using at the moment
has only one font, and is a PITA to work with.

From what I've seen of pen plotters and their seemingly random choice of
path, I'm not sure I would trust their code for pocketing or conturing.
--
Regards,
J. Nielsen