Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.homepower,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default A wall-wart alternative

George Ghio wrote:
wrote:
Stretch wrote:

All the parts should be in the HOT side for safety. Move thre resistor

from the bottom leg(neutral) to the top (hot) leg.

The first old line cord I used was unpolarized...

Make the resistor bigger.

That eats into efficiency, and it might need to change with
the required current. Right now, only the cap needs to change.

Safer would be to use a small transformer to step the voltage down,
then just put a diode in the secondary.

Exactly what I want to avoid, with a thousand times the power consumption :-)

Nick

What we have is a battery powered electric Grandfather clock. That's
stupid enough on it's own. Still, it's too hard to wind up a real
Grandfather clock once a week.

But then Nick in his infinite silliness got tired of replacing the
batteries every year. How tedious it must have been.

Is Nick lazy or just sad?

Dead batteries in smoke detectors are one of the big causes of death in
house fires.

No, the batteries dont jump out and get ya, they just fail to tell you
to get out in time.

NT