Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default heating problem

You're right, heating is not internal medicine, but the average home owner
ends up doing more harm than good to their system. Most people don't even
know how to use a meter, let along trouble shoot a problem.
Companies who do only new construction hire unskilled mechanics, because
builders are cheap. Any truck set up for new construction will not have
ample repair parts. If you insist on hiring that type of company, then you
may have to wait a week for service and/or the proper repair part. You need
to find a company who puts the emphasis on service, but I suspect that you
wouldn't want to pay for that kind of quality.

"Pick" wrote in message
Bubba ReMoVe wrote in
:

On 9 Jan 2006 15:04:36 -0800,
wrote:

if its a 2 wire thermostat for heat only, shorting them to one another
should trip on the furnace, but may damage some newer timer
thermostats.

I have shorted mine for testing and never caused a problem, although
the thermostat directions warn of it.

all these hire pro comments bug me, at least the person should try some
basic troubleshooting, its how most of us learned originally

Freakin ding bat.
Do you do your own heart valve diagnosing and repair too?
In case you havent noticed, heating parts and the labor necessary to
complete them are NOT inexpensive anymore. Monkeying around in there
can cost lots-o-dollars. Your chance of making a magical repair are
very slim. Fix it right and fix it the first time. Call someone that
knows.
Bubba

Heating and cooling repair isn't internal medicine. The last time my
heater crapped out, I was able to do basic troubleshooting on it using
the manual that came with the unit, and was able to talk intelligently to
the technician when I did call him. As a result, he had the right part
on the truck (which he wouldn't have if I hadn't done the basic
troubleshooting), and was able to fix it that day.

With the construction boom in my area, if a homeowner can give some basic
information, it can mean the difference between getting squeezed in at
the end of a busy day, or having to wait a week for service.

Granted, the OP should have given more information, but there was no
reason to jump on him like some did.