Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.

Default Aluminum(metal content) gas grill problem

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
om...
I have a Weber "Silver A" BBQ. After butterflying and marinating my

leg of
lamb Sunday, I fired up the grill. The flames looked short at 1/4"

but the
right shade of blue and the grill never got past 225 F. I actually

had to
broil the lamb inside. It was 42 deg. F. outside and the tank is full
except for 2 meals, and I double checked, it's full. There are

screens over
the air inlets to prevent spiders and the burner holes were all lit

and the
same. I didn't see anything obvious with a quick flashlight

inspection. It
was like the gas pressure was low. I've used the grill year-round

without
this problem before. Any ideas? The right answer gets a new design

grill
brush specially designed for porcelain coated cast iron grills that we

are
just starting to test market.

The lamb was great! It always is, but better on the grill and best on
charcoal. I would have done charcoal but I would have had to put

pants on.

Tom,

I have the same grill and have had the same problem. Shut it off and
pull the regulator, check the nose of the valve and see if yours has the
gas inlet drilled square. Mine was creating a nice blockage between the
face of the nose and the inside of the valve on the tank. This shuts the
gas flow WAY down. I used a small file and cut a groove across the face
to allow gas flow. MUCH better. Don't have a problem anymore since I
connected it to my BIG propane tank that feeds the house.
Oh if you need to replace the grills or the flavor bars, Home Depot had
the stainless replacements for about 20 bucks more than the enamel.
Unless you make your own like I did.