Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Default My first plane, a followup

I posted a pic awhile back of it in an as yet unfinished state.

http://www.xenius.org/tsudonimh/2005...eftrear-01.jpg

Someone asked how it worked, and I couldn't answer because I was waiting
for an opportunity to harden the blade.

I brought it to a local artist's workshop--he has a forge, but was
holding the tongs and it seems my poor communication skills got in the
way and the result was a still very soft blade.

Okay. I got an oxy-acetylene kit and hardened the blade. I'm having
issues with the finish... I started with three coats of Tung Oil, then
paste wax, but it seems (despite several wettings after which I scraped
the surface) to've raised the grain somewhat. I'm rubbing beeswax on it
and polishing with a cloth towel until something nice happens.

In answer to the question posed in response to my last post (i.e., how
does it work?), I can lift a ~0.5 thousandth thick curl the width of the
blade off straight hard maple stock.

That's a little ordinary though. I have a piece of wild-grain maple:
nothing I have (which aint much... a modern stanley low-angle block I
fettled a bit is the best of it) could cut this wood clean. Not it's
intended function, this plane was made for general smoothing, not crazy
wood, and has a standard 45 degree angle. But what the heck, give it a
try. This plane glides through it one-handed! All that crazy grain is
transforming into 3D figure. Now I can do something with that scary
board I rescued from neglect in a HD wood bin.

Now that makes me happy. On to the next plane, and a cabinet.

er
--
email not valid