Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
badaztek

Default plastic molding?

Sorry I misread what the poster had said but wax is a good way of trying
out pouring a mould and allot more affordable ,even the high end machine
shops are using wax to use as a way to machine a part without the
expense of using a piece of metal and if it's wrong and don't work you
can remelt it and try again,with wax once you find out something is
going to come out right ,you just remelt it and use it again next time
you need to do a test part.
Just an added note ancient romans used to use wax to make bronze items
with very intricate designs ,what they did was they made the item from
wax with all the design work on it
and since it was softer it was allot easier to make the most intricate
details on the surface
then they would take the wax plug and cover it in clay and then cure it
in the air til it dries then they put it in an oven to harden it and
melt the wax which I believe they turned it upside down to let all the
wax drain out then they took it and poured the molten bronze into the
mold and after it was done they just broke the material away and they
would have an excellent piece of art whether it be a helmet or a pitcher
or just ornate decoration or jewelry ,which they still use this method
in mexico or spain in some jewelry shops that make custom pieces but
they use plaster of paris instead of clay.
Good luck and have fun