jim rozen

Default Bent Spindle?

In article , David A. Frantz says...

I suppose that the spindle could have been bent, though to be honest I've
seen little of this. To check the spindle you would have to remove it
from the machine and check it out with some inspection equipment. This
is likely to be a lot of work but if your looking at the bearings it will
be silly not to have it checked out. If the front bearing has turned
like many have suggested, then you may need to look into the purchase of a
new spindle. Refurbishment of the old spindle is always possible, but do
not consider any rebuilder who does not have a history of rebuilding machine
spindles.

I would think that if the spindle itself were bend, the bearings
would bind badly at some point in the rotation. The fact that
it does not, implies it is either a wear issue on the nose of
the spindle, or a bearing issue.

Jim

please reply to: