Jeff Wisnia

Default sheet metal gas engine project

clare, @, snyder.on, .ca wrote:

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 21:14:38 -0400, nanotech1
wrote:

i was looking at some web site about the crosley engine
notice that cylinder and head section was made of brazed sheet
metal but not the crankcase and i was wondering if it is possible to
build an engine about the size of a 8 hp Brigg and straton
out of steel or aluminium sheet metal ( for cylinder block and
crankcase) and tubing( steel tubing for cylinder sleeve cyl,head ports)
yet some parts still be made in billet it would be water cooled and
overhead valve or flathead it would be a nice project with the right
machine tool ( milling , metal lathe ,ect) all sheet metal arc welded
then machined i know that GM EMD diesel locomotive engines are done this
way and some european diesel truck engine like MATRA ( there V12 engine
block is made out of steel sheet metal) does some knows if it as been
done for a project

The BLOCK was made of sheet metal on the early Crosley.

I actually OWNED one of those Crosleys back in high school. The engine had
the trade name "Cobra", for 'copper brazed'.

A buddy and I ripped out that engine and shoehorned a Ford "V8-60" into it.

Shortly thereafter I aquired a Willys Aero Ace - The one with the "F head"
engine in it. (Intake valves overhead, exhaust valves in the block.)

Thanks for the memories...

Jeff

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"If you can keep smiling when things go wrong, you've thought of someone to
place the blame on."