David A. Frantz

Default Bent Spindle?

Hi Paul;

The first question I would have is this does the issue, that is the
excessive radial runout, occur if you take your measurements from
different positions around the spindle? Also do you get a corresponding
axial runout when the defective area passes by? My first thought is that
a bent spindle is unlikely, it could very well be bad bearings. I've
seen amny of a lathe that has failed due to poor lubrication of the
spindle bearings. While I'm not familiar with the clausing, I have seen
plugged oil lines and lack of maintenance attention cause these sorts of
things.

The bearings may be tight but that does not imply that they are any good.
Also on large spindles your really need to use a dial indicator to check
the tightness of the spindle bearings. As far as a bearing problem if
you should have a bit of galling on one of the bearing races that will
cause the problem.

I suppose that the spindle could have been bent, though to be honest I've
seen little of this. To check the spindle you would have to remove it
from the machine and check it out with some inspection equipment. This
is likely to be a lot of work but if your looking at the bearings it will
be silly not to have it checked out. If the front bearing has turned
like many have suggested, then you may need to look into the purchase of a
new spindle. Refurbishment of the old spindle is always possible, but do
not consider any rebuilder who does not have a history of rebuilding machine
spindles.

Since the spindle is a key component of a lathe you will want this right.
Frankly this issue severly limits what you can use the lathe for. Lots
of luck.

Thanks
Dave

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 02:34:11 +0000, Paul Weber wrote:

I got at auction a Clausing 5900 12x24. In setting up a chuck I found
.0025 radial runout on the nose taper. The spec is less than .0005. Is
there any kind of bearing problem that will cause this? The runout is at
the same position every rev. The bearings appear to be as tight as they
will go. Thanks Paul