Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

Default Flywheel on a rotary phase convertor

In article , Robert Swinney says...

Well! Knock me over with a rubber dick, err, make that rubber duck. Seems
to me that ought to work. Id'd bet it is kind of tricky to get the right
belt, or gear, ratio between the pony and idler.

That's why dan suggested a varispeed pulley setup in his post.

I suppose, though, it
would just refuse to "generate" if everything was not properly sized.

Yes, if it weren't line excited. But it is.

BTW -
how would you know if it was functioning as an induction generator ? If
the load motor was running at greater than its normal synchronous speed -
it'd be generating, right??

Generating on the third leg. I think the idea would be to make a
rotary converter that somehow would have better balance or lower
impedance by deliberatly driving the rotor above synchronous speed.

Jim

please reply to: