Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ebby

Default Question about using a slip roll?

No compound curves if I can help it. The pieces I want to make are the
upper/lower cowling, cockpit and belly skins. The 2024-T3 has a temper so
what I am looking to do is coax the sheets in the right direction with the
slip roll then fasten the skins in place with screws. One sheet is .032" T3
and it's pretty springy. That's why using galvanized is a good start but it
doesn't have the same physical property as T3. The spacing of the rolls
using galvanized will not put the same amount of curl in the T3. I was
wondering if someone did a reference table for different alloys and metal
thicknesses with a measurement to set the roller distance for a particular
radius of curl. I will just have to start with a bit of curl then work my
way up to the final curl needed to make a satisfactory fit. Thanks all.
I'm sure I'll figure it out.

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 02:32:35 GMT, "Ebby" wrote:

I have access to a slip roll

Compound curves ?

Can you do these usefully with a slip roll? Wouldn't you need a wheel
instead?