Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lionel

Default Stainless steel wheel nuts

Anyone like to comment on post below from uk.rec.models.engineering
Lionel

"Ian Phillips" wrote in message ...
I have been asked to modify some M16 stainless steel A4 caphead setscrews to
be used as car wheelnuts. The plan is to drill and tap M12 fine in the plain
(16mm diameter) portion of the bolt to create a 'sleeve' nut.

My concern is not knowing whether the aproximately 2mm wall thickness of
material left will be sufficiently strong enough. The intended use is on a
'show' car but will be driven (carefully) on the road.

I would not know where to start calculating, and even if I could I would not
know the values of whatever forces are involved.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Ian Phillips