Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom

Default first attempts tig welding...or, "how to get really fast grinding tungsten"

while he's welding, that's the first time I heard of that one.
I usually want to look at the whole setup, puddle, electrode,
and filler metal. Just use a darker lens (or setting) on your
welding helmet if it's too bright.

The one thing that improved my welding most was holding the
electode closer to the work. You want to be as close as
possible, 1/32" or 1/64". As a beginner I used to hold the torch
further away, and things would get too hot too fast.

I took a TIG class at Lincoln Electric, and the instructor held
the electrode ridiculously close to the work. His rhythm was
about 1 dip of the filler metal every 2 seconds. I think the
closer you hold the electrode to the work, the less heat goes in.
The 1amp / 0.001" rule works only if you're close, if you hold the
electrode 1/4" away from the work forget it.

It's all about the setup and being comfortable. I usually set
things up so that I can rest my torch hand on the work, if that's
not an option I try to use a clamp and rest my hand on the clamp.

Tom.
http://www.TomEberhard.com