Loren Coe

Default P38 airplane-why isn't this configuration used anymore?

In article , Jack Erbes wrote:
On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:33:11 GMT, "Mark Fields"
wrote:

snip
We went
in the B-24 (Strawberry Bitch), B-17 (Shoo-Shoo Baby), C-47, C-46, B-36
(only in the cockpit area, not allowed to go back the chute to the tail
section, and just about all the fighters, including the P-51, P-38, Fw-190,
Bf-109, Me-262, etc.

[....]
A few years back I got my 6' 7" 240 pound adult son, who is a WW II
warbird nut, a chance to sit in the cockpit of an original condition
P-51. He was stunned at how cramped the cockpit was.

as a young lad in 1950's Ellensberg, Wa., went to an airshow where
a WWII surplus Mustang was taking on riders for 5min flights. what
i remember most was the noise, man was that thing _LOUD_, and the
amount of fuel they added after just a few flights.

i cannot honestly remember much about the plane, i do understand now
that it must have been a type of trainer or had been modified to
accomodate a rider. haven't thought about that for many moons.

--Loren