Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

Default wiring a built in oven and a ceramic hob

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 22:46:06 -0000 someone who may be "Philip
Thompson" wrote this:-

The oven and hob will be approx 4feet from the oven switch

Both need to be within 2m of the switch. If only one is then you
will need a second switch to control the other piece of equipment.

We havn't got the hob yet so no definate answer to its power
consumption.

In the absence of information I would guess 2kW per hotplate. Some
hotplates may be less, some more, it all depends on the design.
However, diversity does apply in large amounts to such things.

There is no other supply very near to oven housing
so it would be nice to get both units on the 6mm tail.

This is what I would do, assuming that the hob is suitable to be
protected by the consumer unit protective device, the hob terminals
are suitable and both items of equipment are within 2m of the
switch. However, all advice is worth what you pay for it. I have not
seen the equipment or the kitchen.

1) run a cable from the cooker outlet to the hob. The outlet should
be behind your existing cooker. If there is just a cable from the
switch then start there.

2) run a cable from the hob to a fused connection unit with a 13A
fuse. This will need to be mounted in a suitable place. It may be
that this is above the worktop, with a suitable cord outlet below
this.

3) run a suitable cord to the oven.

This scheme avoids trying to stuff three large cores into one
terminal, which doesn't work very well. Instead there is a maximum
of two cores in any terminal.

If the oven is more than 2m from the existing switch then a switch
on the fused connection unit is a good way of switching the oven
off, otherwise I wouldn't bother with a switch as it is one thing
more to keep clean and/or go wrong.

The cables will need to be suitably protected. This depends on the
kitchen layout.

If you are outwith Scotland then there are problems of bureaucracy
in a kitchen.

All I know is, the power needs of the new units shouldn't be
much different from the old cooker with 4 hob rings.

What is the rating of the existing protective device?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh