Posted to alt.home.repair
Patrick Cleburne

Default Swimming Pool Pump Question

"docjohnson" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 12,000 gallon in-ground pool with a spill-over spa. The pump
that is currently installed is a 3/4 hp Sta-Rite. The filter is a
cartridge type. I also have a heatpump in the system. When I have the
heat pump in-line, I cannot get the jets in the spa to suck air down
their vents to produce bubbles. The only way I can get the jets to
produce bubbles is to by-pass the heat pump and open all the return
drains from the pool to the pump but that cools off the spa. I
eventually would like to install solar panels on my 2 story house. I
have a feeling the pump is undersized, but shall I go 1hp or 1.5hp?
Will I need to get a bigger filter for the larger pump? Pressure into
the filter is 10psi with the heater bypasses and 19 with the pump
in-line.

Must be nice to live in a place where you worry about your pool pump in
January ;-)