Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe

Default Appletini

On 8 Jan 2006 11:15:52 -0800, wrote:

My roommate's girlfriend thought it would be a good idea to spill
appletini all over my laptop. We were smart enough to yank out the
battery and unplug the thing immediately, and it still works just fine.
But the keys are sticky (literally); you can feel the sugary crust
breaking each time you hit one.

Any suggestions for how to fix this issue? This is going to sound
stupid, but would simply yanking all electrical supplies and then
dousing in water work (the clock battery fried when the thing got
soused, so it's no longer a factor)? Friends have suggested ants. They
weren't joking (I swear). Ideas?

Remove the keyboard and see if anything got under it. If it did,
you'll need to clean it off quickly before things start to corrode
(this may not be a do it yourself job). It may work now, but once the
motherboard corrodes, there will be nothing left to fix. Although
washing the keyboard in clean water may fix it, I'd insist on a new
keyboard.
Andy Cuffe